Yes, there are several exceptions:
- Promotion - announcement of an exhibition: posters (badges, roll-ups, etc.), flyers, publicity (on condition that only the poster of the exhibition is used).
- A current affairs report: if the article relates directly to the work of art mentioned.
- Parody, pastiche, caricature: for these uses, the conditions are strictly applied.
- For promotion - announcement, the following conditions must be met:
- The original work must be present at the exhibition.
- The location of the event must be clearly indicated on the medium.
- The date of the event must be clearly indicated on the medium.
If the above conditions are met, no copyright royalties will be owed.
WARNING: Even if a medium is covered by the exception and no copyright royalties are owed, the artist may have to be contacted for permission (moral right):
- if the work is overprinted;
- if the work is incomplete;
- if the work is linked to politics and/or religion;