If you wish to place a film in which music is used on a website, there are two types of rights that you have to consider. You can submit your application via e-Licensing. More information on the different types of rights can be found here.


Request a licence online for the work you want to use

Click here for more information about our general conditions.


Synchronisation rights

First and foremost you have to ask for permission from the publisher of the music work. These are the "synchronisation royalties" that you have to pay in order to be able to use music in a film. Sabam acts here only as an intermediary. It is ultimately the publisher who decides whether or not the work can be used and how much it is to cost. There is no minimum or maximum royalty for this.

You can also use library or stock music. For this you pay a fixed tariff per piece of music and per fraction of 30 seconds.

List of publishers offering library music

Another possibility is to compose the music yourself or to have it composed specially for your production. In this case you reach a direct agreement with a composer.

Finally you can always use music on which there are no longer authors' rights because it belongs to the public domain (music whose longest living author/composer has been dead for more than 70 years).


Performance rights

Then there are also the royalties for the performance rights that you have to pay for making the work available online. More information on the applicable tariff can be found here.

Tariff for the online offering of musical works in an audiovisual production

Attention! It is important to know that apart from the authors' rights (managed by a society or authors such as Sabam), there are also related rights such as the rights of the producer. If you wish to make certain films available via Internet, you have to obtain the permission of the producers beforehand.