If you are a member of Sabam and we manage your copyright royalties, then the mechanical reproduction royalties have to be paid, even if you are releasing your own works on a sound carrier (self-releasing).
You may be eligible for a copyright exemption if you meet the following conditions:
- The author/composer is 100% owner of all works on the sound carrier.
- The applicant is not a legal entity (non-profit association, private limited company,...).
- The manufacturing costs are entirely at the expense of the author/composer.
- The works have not been published at the time of the application.
- Sabam has no obligation to the publisher if the works are published AFTER the manufacturing. The author/composer is directly liable to the publisher if the latter claims copyright royalties for the pressing concerned.
- The exemption only applies to authors/composers who are members of Sabam.
- The exemption must be explicitly requested.
- Music groups may also qualify for this exemption subject to the written consent of all authors/composers involved within the group.
The exemption is limited to a maximum of 1.000 copies per catalogue number. Please note there is an administrative cost of 50 euros (+ 21% VAT) per licence application.