If you are an associate of Sabam and we manage your copyright royalties, then the mechanical reproduction royalties have to be paid, even if you are releasing your own works on a sound carrier (self-releasing).
You may however be eligible for a copyright exemption (limited to a maximum of 1.000 copies per catalogue number) if you meet the conditions below. Please note that there is an administrative cost of € 50 (+ 21% VAT) per licence application.
- The author/composer is 100% owner of all works on the sound carrier.
- The applicant may not be a legal entity (non-profit association, private limited company,...).
- The manufacturing costs are entirely at the expense of the author/composer.
- The works may not have been published at the time of the application.
- Sabam has no obligation to the publisher if the works are published AFTER the manufacturing. The author/composer is directly liable to the publisher if the latter claims copyright royalties for the pressing concerned.
- The exemption only applies to authors/composers who are members of Sabam.
- The application of the exemption must be explicitly requested.
- Music groups may also qualify for this exemption subject to the written consent of all authors/composers involved within the group.