Sabam strives to provide its authors with advice and assistance.
Furthermore there is the Sabam for Culture non-profit organisation. Through this non-profit organisation it demonstrates presence and support at innumerable fairs and large-scale events, such as the Music Industry Awards, the Ghent Film Festival, the World Soundtrack Awards, the Nekka Nacht, the Muzikantendag, de Eregalerij, etc.
Sabam also turns the focus onto its members from the various disciplines by means of various events that we organise ourselves.
Sabam also support film students with grants for creativity via the Soundscape Fund for Graduation Films or the Soundscape Fund for Feature Films. It thus endeavours to promote its dramatic repertoire. In this way the works of the Sabam repertoire can also be viewed online (Repertoire online). In addition, Sabam currently offers grants for community theatre under the management of OpenDoek.
Sabam for Culture
Its goal is the promotion, dissemination, development, protection and defence of the national music, culture and art repertoire of Sabam in the broadest sense of the word, i.a. through publications both in Belgium and abroad.
Click here for more info.
Sabam for Culture does not aim to gain a monopoly for the promotion of Belgian music, but to support the efforts of our creative artists and other organisations. These initiatives must be strongly valued and encouraged.
Sabam for Culture takes particular care, however, that finances for promotional purposes are only granted when the interests of the Sabam members are respected in the broadest possible sense. All self-interest is barred.
Sabam for Culture does not limit its activities to Belgium and is also active abroad. One example of this is its attendance at the MIDEM Cannes where it provides a complete infrastructure for the Sabam members wishing to participate.
Through its active participation in numerous associations, Sabam protects the interests of its members also in a broader cultural and social context.
- As co-organisers, Sabam has a seat on the Board of Directors of "ProSpère" (Fédération Professionnelle des Créateurs de l’Audiovisuel).
- It also maintains contacts with the leading professional bodies such as the Scenaristengilde, the Unie van Regisseurs, Flanders Doc and the ARRF (Association des Réalisateurs et Réalisatrices de Films), the ASA (Association des Scénaristes de l’Audiovisuel) and the ARPF (Association des Réalisateurs Producteurs de Films).
- Various events and film festivals are supported financially by Sabam for Culture, such as DOCVILLE, the FILMFESTIVAL OOSTENDE, the ENSORS, the FILMFESTIVAL GENT and the INTERNATIONAAL KORTFILMFESTIVAL Leuven. In addition information sessions, film shows and meetings with authors are organised.
- As a member of the Vlaamse Mediaraad and the Conseil Supérieur de l'Audiovisuel (CSA), Sabam is the voice of the authors and can thus influence the decisions taken by the government on audiovisual policy.
- Sabam is also a member of the management associations that act to support the right to fees for private copying (AUVIBEL), public lending and reprography (REPROBEL).
- Sabam is a member of the Belgian Association for Copyright Protection (BVA). It participates actively in the meetings and discussions on the Artists' Statute.
- Sabam participates in the conferences of the CISAC (Confédération Internationale des Sociétés d'Auteurs et Compositeurs), the management committee of BIEM (Bureau International des Sociétés gérant les droits d'enregistrement et de reproduction mécanique) and the SAA (Society of Audiovisual Authors).
- Sabam is a member of CIADLV (Conseil International des auteurs d’œuvres Audiovisuelles, Dramatiques et Littéraires).
- Within the framework of the European Community, Sabam is a member of GESAC (the European Association of Authors' and Composers' Societies).
- Sabam has a seat on the Board of Directors of the SAA and on the "Council of General Policy".
- In the field of Visual Arts, Sabam is a member of CIAGP (International Council of Creators of Graphic, Plastic and Photographic Arts), EVA (European Visual Artists) and OLA (OnLineArt).